Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Corey Haim Dead At 38

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/corey-haim-dies-at-38/37186?nc

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/corey-haims-sad-lifelong-struggle-to-stay-sober/37193?nc

I could go on forever about what people and websites are saying about this 80's icon. I was born in 1978 and so I was a HUGE fan of Corey Haim. I remember watching many of his movies throughout the 1980's. Some of my favorites were The Lost Boys, Silver Bullet & License to Drive. He had done many films over his short career. Most of his best work came from his younger years during the 80's. However, once he started to experiment with drinking and drugs it was all over for him. He never fully recovered. He basically said he didn't want to get back to a clean life and in many interviews and even on Larry King Live said he will be a "relapser forever". He did a handful of forgettable films in the 1990's and 2000's, but most of it if not all of them were pretty terrible. Last year before moving to Japan I would have had the chance to met him at a Horror Convention in Indianapolis. I regret now that I missed my chance.

We see this every year in Hollywood and all over really. That rich and famous people are hurting and all the money and fame they can handle can not bring them happiness. They are searching for something greater and something deeper. Regular people look up to these stars for answers and wishing to be like these stars. They forget to realize these same stars don't have the answers and are miserable and seeking refuge in pills, bottles, needles, etc.... Of course I am not saying this about all rich or famous people, but we as a society put a lot on celebrity thinking this will be what saves us. Look at how many reality shows are popular now..._?!?!?!? There is only one TRUE answer and savior from all of these addictions and pitfalls. If regular people started to look to Jesus for the answers and not famous, rich & powerful people then what a world it would be. If these same famous folks did not seek help at the bottom of a syringe, bottle or any random drug and look to the ONE that can take away all of the pain and loneliness they had would it not be a better way of life for them. They could practice and hone their skills as artists and not get lost in the oblivion of drugs.

Most of you guys know that I am a HUGE movie buff and film fanatic. I collect DVDs, autographs and go to movie conventions. I even help out with a podcast and message board dedicated to film, but at the end of the day this is nothing at all to the saving power of Jesus Christ. I never let the fact that I can now rub elbows with some of my childhood heroes and many of these celebrities I have looked up to growing up or even today look up to as great artist cloud my views of Christ and know that he alone is the one that saves and not mere mortal men and women. I respect their craft and enjoy my time with them, but I do not look to them as some kind of mini gods or for them to replace my relationship with Jesus. They are just people like us. They put their pants on the same way we do. They have feelings and needs like we do. They want to be accepted and liked like we do. They are the SAME as us, but their vocation is what sometimes make them larger than life. The only life that we all should want to obtain is the one that relies on God through Jesus Christ.

Corey- you have given me many great memories through your films. I have laughed with you a lot in the films you help create. I am sorry that you never found peace while on earth. I hope if anything your fans will look to your death as a wake up call in their own lives and see that drugs are NOT the answer and being famous is NOT what it is all cracked up to be. R.I.P.

2 comments:

  1. Jason, you have done a wonderful job of using this tragedy as a chance to witness for Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I just wanted to share my feelings on this matter. Glad you gave it a gander.

    ReplyDelete